Friday, September 29, 2006

Projects, projects


For some reason, it's become difficult to leave things alone around our house. I'm sure it all started very innocently when we bought our house 11 years ago. Something like hey, this bathroom really needs a new medicine cabinet. Over the years our confidence (and skills) have grown. Hey, we really need to do something about our kitchen became a reality 3 years ago. Walls ripped down to studs, walls even moved! Beautiful new hickory cabinets hung with the help of my Dad, tile floors and backsplash, even granite countertops! I love making bread, it's such a pleasure to knead the dough on granite. Our most amitious project was new siding the year after the kitchen. We decided, innocently enough, hey - if the siding is off, we might as well replace these old, crappy builder-grade windows too. So, side by side we ripped off siding, ripped off black wafer board, ripped out old windows, inserted new Pella windows and added new (and proper) plywood. The funny thing was that we finished one side in a weekend and thought, oh my god, we have 3 more sides left!!!! Yes, that was one heck of a project. I also have a beautiful bay window in my dining room thanks to that project.

The latest project is pretty modest. Rip apart the tool shed. Why not leave it as it is you ask? Well, the double doors open right into a wall. To get the garden tractor in and out, you need to drive it up (and back it down) onto a pair of ramps. So, off came half of the walls of the shed. While in there, I thought hey, it would really look brighter with a coat of primer paint. Perhaps I should stop thinking. The walls were painted first, to which everyone agreed it did look a lot brighter. And suddenly the ceiling looked a LOT darker. Hmmm. Off to the paint store for another can of primer. I have just finished the ceiling. I still have to paint the one exterior wall that is still bard-red with primer. And THEN I still have to re-paint everything with the paint I picked up that would turn the shed into the same color as the house..... I must have adult ADD because I am mentally done with painting, but know I still have quite a few hours out there to finish.

No comments: